Sign In  |  Register  |  About Sunnyvale  |  Contact Us

Sunnyvale, CA
February 17, 2020 4:43pm
7-Day Forecast | Traffic
  • Search Hotels in Sunnyvale

  • ROOMS:

License Your Pet

In order to license your pet, you will need to provide....

Submit A Story
Share |

ALL DOGS over four (4) months of age that reside in the City of Sunnyvale for more than 30 days must be currently vaccinated against rabies and licensed with the City.

CATS are not required to be licensed with the City at this time. However, licensing is a highly recommended form of identification for both dogs AND cats.

*Note: A rabies tag is separate from a license tag. The issuer of the rabies tag will not license your pet. It is the owner’s responsibility to license their pet with the City.

In order to license your pet, you will need to provide:

1. A completed Sunnyvale Animal License Application.

2. Proof of current rabies vaccination.

3. Proof of spay/neuter (optional).

4. Payment for the licensing fees.


There are several ways to obtain an Animal License Application; you can download one here, pick one up in the Department of Public Safety at 700 All America Way, or call Sunnyvale Animal Control at (408) 730-7178 to request an application be mailed to you.


You are required by law to maintain current rabies vaccinations for your dog(s). Proof from your veterinarian or rabies clinic must show current rabies vaccination or exemption.


To encourage spaying and neutering, license fees are significantly reduced for altered pets. A spay/neuter certificate or other official proof of sterilzation from your veterinarian is required the first time you apply. Spaying and neutering not only helps to reduce the burden of pet overpopulation in shelters but also makes pets less likely to stray away from home, less likely to get involved in fights, and less likely to bite, which in turn all serve to reduce taxpayers' expense for animal control costs. For more information on the benefits or process of spaying or neutering your pet, please contact your veterinarian.


Licenses may be purchased by cash, money order, or check (payable to: City of Sunnyvale, Animal Control Unit). Current licensing fees for unaltered dogs are $54/year. Fees for altered dogs (with proof of spay/neuter) are $17 / 1 year, $28 / 2 years, $35 / 3 years. Please note: Licenses must be purchased for a term equal to or less than the remaining duration of the dog's current rabies vaccination and refunds cannot be issued once a license is processed.


New tags are not sent upon renewal. A $5 replacement fee is only required to replace lost or damaged tags.


Failure to license your dog by the age of four (4) months, or within thirty (30) days of acquisition, or within thirty (30) days of residency, or within thirty (30) days of the expiration date of a previously issued license may be subject to a $22 late penalty fee. Delinquent licenses will be forwarded to an animal control officer who may issue you a citation with additional fines.


Citizens age 65 or older, may license one pet per household at no cost. Valid verification or age (photocopy of a valid California Drivers License or Medi-Care Card) is required the first time you apply for a free license as a senior. (Proof of current rabies vaccination is still required for each renewal).


Owners of certain working dogs (guide / hearing / law enforcement dogs) may be eligible to receive an exemption from paying licensing fees. To claim exemption, you must provide either:

(a) Certification that the animal serves as a guide dog or hearing dog.

(b) Certification that the animal has served with the United States Armed Forces or with a law enforcement agency.

For more information, please contact Sunnyvale Animal Control at (408) 730-7178.

Recent Stories
» Sunnyvale Resident Completes 90 Day Spring Course Lander, Wyo
» Organization Needs 3,000 Turkeys For Thanksgiving Dinners
» Man Pleads Not Guilty To Stabbing, Killing Man Over Cigarette
» Vehicle Pursuit Leads To Discovery Of Drugs For Sale Thursday
» Man Shot In Leg In Apartment
» Firefighters Respond To 1-Alarm Structure Fire This Morning
» Police Investigating Home Burglary
» Friday Morning News Roundup
» Federal Prosecutors Collect $327M From Criminal, Civil Actions This Year
» Sfmta Parking And Traffic Citations Can Now Be Contested Via Online Portal
Copyright © 2010-2020 & California Media Partners, LLC. All rights reserved.